What Happens When You or Your Loved One Can Drive, but Isn’t Quite So Mobile?

As we age, sometimes we get a little less able. Sometimes we might notice that we aren’t as quick on our feet, or that it’s harder to walk long distances, or perhaps a cane or a wheel chair is needed to increase mobility. You may notice it happening to yourself or you may notice it happening to a loved one.

Once this realization occurs, one of the activities that elderly drivers are concerned about is their continued independence and safety. Their loved ones are concerned about safety and the independence and well-being of their loved ones.

If you or your loved one has no limitations that impact his or her ability to drive, you or your loved one can apply for a Disabled Plate and/or Disabled Placard.  In order to qualify for either a plate or a placard, you must be a resident of Massachusetts and must have your doctor, chiropractor or nurse practitioner certify that you meet one of the following conditions:

  • Cannot walk 200 feet without stopping to rest.
  • Cannot walk without the assistance of another person, prosthetic, cane or crutches.
  • Have a lung disease such that your respiratory expiratory volume is less than 1 liter.
  • Use portable oxygen.
  • Have a Class III cardiac condition.
  • Have a  Class IV cardiac condition (if you have this the registry requires you to surrender your license, in this instance you will be issued a placard for the motor vehicles you are riding in).
  • Have Class III functional arthritis.
  • Have Class IV functional arthritis.
  • Have Stage II anatomic arthritis.
  • Have Stage IV anatomic arthritis.
  • Are legally blind (again a situation where you would be issued a placard).
  • Have lost one or more limbs.
  • Have permanently lost use of one or more limbs.

Please note that there are also Temporary Placards available if you are going to be temporarily disabled by one of the above conditions for more than two months.

A lawyer can assist you in navigating the Registry of  Motor Vehicles.  If you would like to set up a consultation call me at 866-981-7888 or email me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get Adobe Flash player