Finally, that magic day occurs…you turn 16. Turning 16 in Massachusetts is VERY exciting for the 16 year old and very scary for their parents and others that love them. FINALLY, you can drive, even if it means driving with your parents. In Massachusetts, you are eligible for your Learner’s Permit on your 16th birthday. I have a very clear recollection of going to the Registry of Motor Vehicles in Quincy, taking the quiz, and getting my permit. It was an exciting day! I also CLEARLY remember that my mom wouldn’t let me drive home! Of course I didn’t know HOW to drive, but how hard could it be? Luckily for other drivers on the road, and me, my mom made me wait. She also made sure that I drove 1000 miles with an adult before I could have the car on my own (so I drove EVERYWHERE for the next few months and far surpassed my mom’s minimum requirement). In retrospect, it was a good idea and she was ahead of her time. Now new drivers MUST log hours with an adult prior to getting their license.
When you have a Learner’s Permit in Massachusetts, you are subject to the following restrictions:
- When you drive you must be accompanied by a licensed driver 21 or older!
- You may not operate between the hours of 12 a.m. and 5 a.m. unless you are accompanied by your parent or a legal guardian who is a licensed operator with at least one year of driving experience.
- The parent or guardian who is driving with you between 12 a.m. and 5 a.m. must not have a revoked or suspended license.
- You cannot operate in a state other than Massachusetts if it violates the laws of that state.
- You must be in physical possession of your Permit when you are operating a motor vehicle.
It seems like a lot of rules, but you have to follow them. You will not be eligible to get your license unless you can prove that you have had a clean driving record for the six months prior to going for a road test. This means that if you get a ticket while you have your permit, or if you get into an accident, you should contact an attorney. If you have any further questions call me at 866-981-7888 or email me at email@example.com to schedule a consultation.