Sex Offender Registry Board Hearings

Who has to register with the Sex Offender Registry Board (SORB) in Massachusetts?

If you are convicted of certain Sex Offenses and reside in Massachusetts you can be required to register as a Sex Offender.  Even if you were convicted in another state and move to Massachusetts you can be required to Register.  Likewise, if you live in another state and simply work in Massachusetts you can be required to register.

If you move to Massachusetts for any reason – even just for college – you can be required to register.

How old do the convictions have to be to not be required to register?

If you were convicted any time after 1981 of certain offenses (or comparable offenses in other states) you may be required to register.

What convictions are considered Sex Offenses in Massachusetts?

  • Aggravated rape
  • Assault of child with the intent to commit rape
  • Assault with intent to commit rape
  • Attempt – (to commit any of the sex crimes listed here)
  • Disseminating harmful material to a minor
  • Disseminating visual material of a minor in a state of nudity or sexual conduct
  • Drugging a person for sexual intercourse
  • Enticing a person away for prostitution or sex
  • Enticing a child under the age of 16 for purposes of committing a crime
  • Incestuous marriage or intercourse
  • Indecent assault and battery on a child under 14
  • Indecent assault and battery on a mentally retarded person
  • Indecent assault and battery on a person age 14 or over
  • Inducing a minor into prostitution
  • Kidnapping a child
  • Living off the earnings of a minor prostitute
  • Open and gross lewdness (for a second and/or subsequent conviction)
  • Posing or exhibiting a child in the state of nudity
  • Possession of child pornography
  • Unnatural or lascivious acts with a child under 16
  • Rape of a child under 16 with force
  • Rape and abuse of a child
  • Rape

How will you know if you are being asked to register?

You will receive notice from the Board to which you will respond. You should strongly consider consulting an attorney prior to returning any information to the Board.

The next letter you receive should be (after you have responded to the above letter) a preliminary classification.

You have the right to appeal an initial classification and you have the right to counsel if you cannot afford one!

If you are not satisfied with the Sex Offender Registry Board’s decision as to your classification level you can appeal via 30A to Superior Court.

You also have the right to hire your own attorney to represent you at any stage of the Sex Offender Registry Board Classification/Hearing/Appeal to Superior Court process.  Please call 866-981-7888 to speak to Attorney Jessica A. Foley about your case.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Get Adobe Flash player